This blog post covers brief stories of 36 successful bootstrapped Indian startups. We include the unicorn startups as well as other top brands.
India has long been known for its thriving entrepreneurial spirit and a wealth of innovative ideas. Over the past few years, we’ve seen an extraordinary growth in the Indian startup ecosystem, with many ventures receiving significant funding from venture capitalists and angel investors. However, not all startups choose to rely on external funding. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at 36 successful bootstrapped startups in India that have managed to create a mark in their respective industries, without the help of any outside funding.
Bootstrapping a startup is an arduous journey, full of challenges and uncertainties. It requires immense determination, hard work, and unwavering commitment from the founders. These bootstrapped startups have overcome countless obstacles, relying on their ingenuity and resourcefulness to propel their businesses forward. By focusing on their core strengths, they have been able to navigate the complex world of entrepreneurship, achieving remarkable success.
The Indian startup landscape is incredibly diverse, and these 36 bootstrapped ventures are no exception. They hail from various sectors, including technology, healthcare, education, e-commerce, and more. Each of these startups has an inspiring story to tell, showcasing how they’ve managed to stand out in a crowded market, and demonstrating that it is possible to build a successful venture without depending on external funding.
In this blog post, we’ll share the compelling stories of these 36 successful bootstrapped startups in India, highlighting their unique approaches, strategies, and philosophies. We hope these stories will serve as a source of inspiration for budding entrepreneurs, showing that with the right mindset, determination, and resourcefulness, it’s possible to create a thriving business without relying on outside investment.
36 Successful Bootstrapped Startups in India:
- Zoho – Zoho is a cloud-based suite of business applications that helps businesses manage their entire workflow, from CRM and email to accounting and HR. The startup was founded in 1996 by Sridhar Vembu and has grown to become a global leader in business software, with over 50 million users in 180 countries.
- FusionCharts – FusionCharts, founded by Pallav Nadhani in 2002, provides data visualization solutions for web and mobile applications. Their extensive library of interactive charts and graphs has been adopted by more than 800,000 developers and 28,000 organizations worldwide.
- Wingify – Founded in 2009 by Paras Chopra, Wingify is a software company that specializes in website optimization and A/B testing. Their flagship product, VWO (Visual Website Optimizer), helps businesses improve their websites’ conversion rates by providing insights on visitor behavior and preferences.
- Instamojo – Instamojo, founded by Sampad Swain, Akash Gehani, and Aditya Sengupta in 2012, is a payment gateway and e-commerce platform that enables small businesses to collect payments, manage customers, and grow their online presence with ease.
- OrangeScape – OrangeScape, founded by Suresh Sambandam in 2003, is a cloud-based platform for creating and managing business applications. Their flagship product, KiSSFLOW, helps organizations automate their business processes, increasing efficiency and reducing costs.
- LoginRadius – LoginRadius, co-founded by Rakesh Soni and Deepak Gupta in 2012, is a customer identity and access management (CIAM) platform that enables businesses to securely manage user identities and deliver personalized experiences.
- ProfitBooks – ProfitBooks, founded by Harshal Katre, Hemant Kore, and Piyush Kulkarni in 2012, is an online accounting software designed for small businesses. The platform simplifies accounting, invoicing, and inventory management, making it easy for entrepreneurs to manage their finances.
- InVideo – InVideo, co-founded by Sanket Shah and Pankit Chheda in 2017, is an online video editing platform that empowers businesses and individuals to create professional-quality videos quickly and easily.
- Appointy – Appointy, founded by Nemesh Singh in 2006, is an online scheduling software that helps businesses automate appointment bookings, manage clients, and track performance.
- InterviewBit – InterviewBit, co-founded by Anshuman Singh and Abhimanyu Saxena in 2014, is an online platform that helps software engineers prepare for technical interviews through curated problem sets, video tutorials, and personalized learning plans.
- Razorpay – Razorpay, founded by Harshil Mathur and Shashank Kumar in 2014, is a payment gateway and financial services platform that helps businesses accept, process, and disburse payments seamlessly.
- NowFloats – NowFloats, co-founded by Jasminder Singh Gulati, Ronak Samantray, and Nitin Jain in 2012, is a platform that enables small businesses to create and manage their online presence, helping them reach a wider audience and increase sales.
- YourStory – YourStory, founded by Shradha Sharma in 2008, is a media platform that shares the stories of entrepreneurs and startups, providing inspiration and insights to its readers.
- Unacademy – Unacademy, co-founded by Gaurav Munjal, Roman Saini, and Hemesh Singh in 2015, is an online learning platform that offers high-quality educational content to students preparing for various competitive exams.
- SutraHR – SutraHR, founded by Waqar Azmi in 2007, is an HR solutions provider that helps startups and SMEs manage their recruitment, payroll, and employee engagement.
- Agile CRM – Agile CRM, founded by Manohar Chapalamadugu in 2013, is an all-in-one customer relationship management (CRM) platform that offers sales, marketing, and customer support automation to help businesses streamline their operations and improve customer experiences.
- Hasura – Hasura, co-founded by Tanmai Gopal and Rajoshi Ghosh in 2017, is an open-source platform that provides developers with tools to build, deploy, and manage GraphQL APIs quickly and securely.
- Crowdfire – Crowdfire, founded by Nischal Shetty in 2010, is a social media management platform that helps businesses grow their online presence by scheduling and managing content across multiple social networks.
- InMobi – InMobi, founded by Naveen Tewari, Abhay Singhal, Amit Gupta, and Mohit Saxena in 2007, is a mobile advertising and technology platform that helps brands engage and acquire users across the mobile ecosystem.
- Chargebee – Chargebee, co-founded by Krish Subramanian, Rajaraman Santhanam, and Thiyagarajan T in 2011, is a subscription billing and revenue management platform that helps businesses automate and manage their recurring billing processes.
- Squadcast – Squadcast, founded by Amiya Adwitiya, Sanket Nadhani, and Viren Parmar in 2017, is an incident management platform that helps engineering teams streamline their incident resolution process, improving uptime and reliability.
- GrabOn – GrabOn, founded by Ashok Reddy in 2013, is a leading coupons marketplace in India that provides consumers with a wide range of coupons, promo codes, and deals for various shopping categories to ensure they can enjoy significant savings on their purchases.
- Justdial – Justdial, founded by VSS Mani in 1996, is a local search engine that provides users with comprehensive information about various businesses, products, and services. With its extensive database and user-friendly interface, Justdial has become a go-to resource for millions of users across India.
- Quick Heal Technologies – Quick Heal Technologies, established by Kailash Katkar and Sanjay Katkar in 1993, is one of India’s leading providers of antivirus and cybersecurity solutions. The company has a vast range of products catering to individual users, small businesses, and large enterprises.
- Kayako – Kayako, founded by Varun Shoor in 2001, is a cloud-based customer support platform that helps businesses deliver exceptional customer experiences. Their comprehensive help desk software allows companies to streamline customer interactions and support operations.
- Postman – Postman, founded by Abhinav Asthana, Ankit Sobti, and Abhijit Kane in 2014, is a powerful API development platform that simplifies the process of building, testing, and collaborating on APIs. With millions of users across the globe, Postman has become an essential tool for developers and organizations working with APIs.
- Screener – Screener, co-founded by Ayush Mittal and Pratyush Mittal in 2012, is a user-friendly stock research platform that provides investors with comprehensive financial data and analysis of Indian stocks. By offering powerful filtering and screening tools, Screener helps investors make informed decisions in the dynamic world of stock investing.
- Zerodha – Zerodha, founded by Nithin Kamath and Nikhil Kamath in 2010, is an online discount brokerage firm that offers low-cost trading and investment services. With its user-friendly platform and innovative offerings, Zerodha has disrupted the Indian stock brokerage industry and has attracted millions of customers.
- CleverTap – CleverTap, co-founded by Sunil Thomas, Anand Jain, and Suresh Kondamudi in 2013, is a customer engagement and retention platform that helps businesses analyze user behavior and deliver personalized experiences across multiple channels.
- CureSkin – CureSkin, founded by Guna Kakulapati and Ramakrishna R in 2017, is an AI-powered skincare app that provides personalized skincare recommendations and treatments by analyzing users’ skin conditions through photographs.
- WebEngage – WebEngage, founded by Avlesh Singh and Ankit Utreja in 2011, is a customer data platform and marketing automation suite that enables businesses to engage and retain customers through personalized communication across multiple channels.
- Shuttl – Shuttl, co-founded by Amit Singh and Deepanshu Malviya in 2015, is an app-based bus service that offers a comfortable and affordable daily commute solution for urban residents, reducing congestion and pollution in cities.
- Bewakoof – Bewakoof, founded by Prabhkiran Singh and Siddharth Munot in 2012, is an online fashion brand that offers trendy, affordable clothing and accessories. With its quirky designs and creative marketing, Bewakoof has built a loyal customer base among India’s youth.
- Testbook – Testbook, co-founded by Ashutosh Kumar, Narendra Agrawal, Manoj Munna, and Yadvendar Champawat in 2013, is an online education platform that provides comprehensive test preparation resources for competitive exams in India.
- DailyHunt – DailyHunt, founded by Virendra Gupta in 2009, is a news aggregator and content discovery platform that offers curated news, ebooks, and videos in multiple regional languages, catering to India’s diverse population.
- Chumbak – Chumbak, founded by Vivek Prabhakar and Shubhra Chadda in 2010, is a design-led lifestyle brand that offers a wide range of products, including apparel, accessories, and home décor. With its vibrant designs inspired by Indian culture, Chumbak has built a strong following among consumers who appreciate its unique aesthetic.
These 36 successful bootstrapped startups in India serve as powerful examples of the immense potential that lies within the entrepreneurial spirit. By relying on their unique strategies, innovative solutions, and sheer determination, these startups have managed to overcome the challenges associated with bootstrapping and have built thriving businesses that are impacting countless lives.
Each of these startups has an inspiring story to tell, demonstrating that it is possible to achieve significant success without external funding. Their journeys provide invaluable insights for aspiring entrepreneurs who wish to build successful ventures through bootstrapping, proving that a combination of resourcefulness, persistence, and vision can go a long way.
As the Indian startup ecosystem continues to evolve and flourish, it’s important to celebrate and learn from the successes of these bootstrapped ventures. By embracing their stories and adopting their philosophies, we can inspire a new generation of entrepreneurs to take the challenging yet rewarding path of bootstrapping, paving the way for a brighter future full of innovation and growth.